With its warm climate, stunning scenery, and vibrant culture, it’s no surprise that many choose to stay here for an extended period. Renting a car is a great way to get around and explore the island, and long-term car rental can offer significant benefits over short-term rental options. If you’re looking to rent a car directly from its owner, check this post.
Please note that these are answers and recommendations from community members and their personal experiences. Answers can be slightly edited for clarity.
Benefits of long-term car rental
- Cost-effective: Long-term car rental is typically more cost-effective than short-term rental options, especially if you plan on staying on the island for an extended period. By renting a car for a longer period, you can spread the cost of the rental over several months, reducing your monthly expenses.
- Convenient: Having a car at your disposal for an extended period means you can travel at your own pace and schedule, without having to worry about public transport or hiring a taxi. This can be especially beneficial for those who need to travel frequently for work.
- Flexibility: With a long-term car rental, you have the flexibility to travel wherever you want, whenever you want. Whether you want to explore the island’s stunning beaches, visit historic landmarks, or take a road trip through the mountains, having a car gives you the freedom to do so.
Renting a car for more than 1 month (with a maximum of 12 months) is considered Long Rental, there are specific companies that offer this service in Gran Canaria. You sould look for “ALQUILER DE COCHES DE LARGA DURACIÓN”. Also some major car rentals offer this service.
Autoreisen has good long term rates, you need to pick up and drop off the car at the airport but usually great value.
Interesting landmarks to visit by car
- Roque Nublo: This massive rock formation is one of the most recognizable landmarks on Gran Canaria, and it’s well worth a visit. Located in the heart of the island’s mountainous interior, Roque Nublo offers breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside. It’s close to impossible to reach Roque Nublo with public transport, so you’ll definitely need a car.
- Maspalomas Dunes: these enormous sand dunes, located in the south of the island, are a unique and stunning natural wonder. Visiting the dunes should be on your to-do list for sure!
- Agaete Valley: this lush valley is home to some of the most fertile farmland on Gran Canaria and it’s a great place to visit if you’re interested in local agriculture and horticulture. The valley is also home to several historic villages, where you can sample local food and drink and learn about the island’s rich cultural heritage.
- Tejeda: this picturesque mountain village is located in the heart of the island’s central mountain range, and it’s a great place to visit if you’re looking for a peaceful and unspoiled part of Gran Canaria. From Tejeda, you can take a scenic drive through the mountains, taking in the stunning views and stopping off at various viewpoints along the way.
Are you a remote worker, immigrant, digital nomad or expat in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria?
Or are you a local professional who wants to connect with an international community? Join here! Besides a welcoming community, you’ll also get 10% discount on surf lessons, 10% discount on diving and access to more exclusive deals!
The Live it up, Las Palmas! community is using Slack as a communication tool. The Slack group is split up into different channels and is moderated actively, to keep communication simple and organized. It’s used to share events, find sports buddies, discover new restaurants, rent a car together, find exclusive community discounts and much more! Live it up, Las Palmas! is your starting point for an amazing time in Gran Canaria. See you there!