An eSIM, or embedded Subscriber Identity Module, is a digital SIM card that is built directly into a device, such as a smartphone, tablet, smartwatch, or other IoT (Internet of Things) devices. Unlike traditional physical SIM cards, which need to be inserted and swapped out physically, an eSIM is integrated into the device’s hardware and can be programmed and managed remotely by the user and the mobile network operator.
Key features of eSIM technology include:
- Remote Provisioning: With an eSIM, you can remotely activate and provision cellular service without needing a physical SIM card. This makes it easier to switch between mobile carriers or plans without the need to physically replace a SIM card.
- Multiple Profiles: eSIM-enabled devices can support multiple profiles from different mobile network operators simultaneously. This is particularly useful for frequent travelers who want to switch to a local carrier’s plan without changing the physical SIM card.
- Convenience: Users can easily switch between different carriers or plans directly from their device settings, eliminating the need to visit a physical store for a new SIM card.
- Smaller Form Factor: Since eSIMs are integrated into the device’s circuitry, it allows for sleeker and more compact designs, as there is no need to accommodate a physical SIM card slot.
- IoT Connectivity: eSIMs are also used in IoT devices to enable seamless connectivity for various applications, such as smart meters, connected cars, wearable devices, and more.
- Security: eSIM technology provides a level of security similar to traditional SIM cards, helping to prevent unauthorized access to a user’s mobile network account.
Where can I get an eSIM in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria?
I’ve been using Airalo for esims for all my data in every country for over two years now. I’m using the euro link right now but they have a cheaper Spain specific one. It’s data only though, no phone number.
I thing Vodafone can provide you with an eSim for prepago and a plan. Pepephone too.
I bought Yoigo eSim at Maslife store on Triana street. They took copy of my NIE and passport but it’s a prepaid not a contract. Works fine.
Are you a remote worker, local professional, immigrant, digital nomad or expat in Gran Canaria?
Or do you simply want to connect with an awesome international community? Join here! Besides a welcoming community, you’ll also get 10% discount on surf lessons, 10% discount on diving and access to more exclusive deals!
The Live it up, Las Palmas! community is using Slack as a communication tool. The Slack group is split up into different channels and is moderated actively, to keep communication simple and organized. It’s used to share events, find sports buddies, discover new restaurants, rent a car together, find exclusive community discounts and much more! Live it up, Las Palmas! is your starting point for an amazing time in Gran Canaria. See you there!