Blue spirulina is a type of blue-green algae that has become increasingly popular in recent years due to its vibrant blue color and numerous health benefits. This edible form of spirulina is not only a nutritious addition to your diet, but also adds a pop of color to smoothies, salads, and other dishes.
What is blue spirulina?
Blue spirulina is a species of blue-green algae (Arthrospira platensis) that is known for its vibrant blue color, which is derived from the presence of phycocyanin, a pigment found in the algae. This type of spirulina is grown in ponds and is carefully harvested to preserve its color and nutrient content.
Try Joanna & Co. Productos Naturales Ferreras on Calle Ferreras 5 or Spar Natural if you’re looking for blue spirulina in Las Palmas.
Blue spirulina has been used for centuries as a food source in some cultures and has recently gained popularity as a dietary supplement and ingredient in health foods. It is a rich source of protein, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other beneficial nutrients, making it an excellent addition to a balanced diet.
Nutritional benefits of blue spirulina
Blue spirulina is a powerhouse of nutrients, making it a great choice for those who are looking to boost their overall health and wellness. Some of the key nutritional benefits of blue spirulina include:
- High in protein: Blue spirulina is a rich source of protein, with about 60-70% of its dry weight consisting of protein. This makes it a great choice for vegetarians and vegans who may struggle to get enough protein in their diets.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals: Blue spirulina is a good source of vitamins B1, B2, B3, and B6, as well as minerals like iron, calcium, and potassium.
- Antioxidant properties: Blue spirulina contains antioxidants that help protect the body against oxidative stress and may help reduce the risk of certain chronic diseases.
- Supports healthy digestion: Blue spirulina is a natural source of fiber, which can help support healthy digestion and regularity.
How to incorporate blue spirulina into your diet
There are many ways to incorporate blue spirulina into your diet, and it is easy to find in health food stores and online. Some popular ways to enjoy blue spirulina include:
- Adding it to smoothies: Blue spirulina adds a pop of color and a boost of nutrition to smoothies. Simply add a scoop to your favorite smoothie recipe, and enjoy.
- Sprinkling it on salads: Blue spirulina can be sprinkled on top of salads for an extra boost of color and nutrition.
- Baking with it: Blue spirulina can be used in baked goods like muffins, bread, and other treats for a fun and nutritious twist.
- Taking it as a supplement: Blue spirulina is also available in supplement form, and can be taken in capsule or powder form.
Blue spirulina is a nutritious and beautiful addition to your diet that is packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other beneficial nutrients. Whether you add it to your smoothies, sprinkle it on your salads, or take it as a supplement, blue spirulina is a great way to boost your overall health and wellness. So why not give it a try and add a pop of blue to your daily routine?
Are you a remote worker, immigrant, digital nomad or expat in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria?
Or are you a local professional who wants to connect with an international community? Join here! Besides a welcoming community, you’ll also get 10% discount on surf lessons, 10% discount on diving and access to more exclusive deals!
The Live it up, Las Palmas! community is using Slack as a communication tool. The Slack group is split up into different channels and is moderated actively, to keep communication simple and organized. It’s used to share events, find sports buddies, discover new restaurants, rent a car together, find exclusive community discounts and much more! Live it up, Las Palmas! is your starting point for an amazing time in Gran Canaria. See you there!