Gran Canaria, with its year-round warm climate and picturesque landscapes, attracts residents and tourists alike. However, living in this beautiful island paradise also comes with some challenges, including dealing with pests like ants. Ant infestations in homes are a common problem in many areas, and Gran Canaria is no exception. In this article, we will explore the reasons behind ant infestations and provide practical tips for prevention and control.
Understanding Ant Infestations in Gran Canaria
Ants are social insects, and they live in colonies that consist of worker ants, soldier ants, and the queen. The worker ants are the ones often seen invading our homes in search of food and water. Gran Canaria’s favorable climate provides an ideal environment for ants to thrive, making it essential to take proactive measures to prevent infestations.
Common Types of Ants in Gran Canaria
While several ant species exist on the island, some are more commonly found in homes. The most prevalent ant species responsible for infestations include the Argentine ant (Linepithema humile) and the Pharaoh ant (Monomorium pharaonis). Argentine ants are small and dark brown, while Pharaoh ants are tiny, yellowish ants. Understanding the type of ants infesting your home can aid in choosing the most effective control methods.
Prevention Tips for Ant Infestations
- Maintain Cleanliness: Ants are attracted to food residues, spills, and crumbs. Regularly clean countertops, floors, and areas where food is prepared and consumed. Store food in airtight containers to reduce potential food sources for ants.
- Seal Entry Points: Inspect your home for cracks, gaps, and holes that ants can use to enter. Seal these entry points with caulk or weatherstripping to block their access.
- Trim Vegetation: Ants often use branches and plants as bridges to access your home. Keep trees, bushes, and shrubs trimmed away from the exterior walls to reduce potential entry points.
- Proper Waste Management: Dispose of garbage regularly and use sealed trash cans. Make sure outdoor garbage bins are located away from the house.
- Pet Food: If you have pets, ensure that their food and water dishes are cleaned regularly, and any spilled food is promptly removed.
- Address Moisture Issues: Fix any leaks or water-related problems in and around your home. Ants are attracted to areas with moisture, and by addressing these issues, you eliminate potential nesting sites.
Effective Ant Control Methods
If an ant infestation has already taken hold in your home, consider the following control methods:
- Bait Traps: Use commercial ant baits or create homemade traps with borax and sugar water. The worker ants will take the bait back to the colony, effectively eliminating the queen and the rest of the ants.
- Natural Repellents: Certain scents, such as peppermint oil, cinnamon, or vinegar, can act as natural ant repellents. Spray these solutions in areas where ants are commonly seen.
- Professional Pest Control: If the infestation is severe or persists despite your efforts, it’s best to seek assistance from a professional pest control service familiar with local ant species.
I sprayed their path with insecticida líquido from the brand Bosque Verde, and wiped the ants up with a wet cloth, which I washed out in the sink. I then sprayed the insecticide around the house wherever the walls meet the floor, and across doorways. I haven’t seen the ants since, but I may just have been lucky so far.
If you are okay with a little ant genocide, Eco Gel worked amazing for me on those particular ants.
You just put a tiny dab in their path, and they gorge on it, then they carry it back to their hole, and it wipes them out. I tried a bunch of other poisons, nothing worked, but this annihilated them.
Eco Gel is awesome. Do that and then don’t leave any food out and you’ll be fine.
I had this ant problem before, and I tried many things that didn’t help until one day I bought a special little box thing specifically against ants in Mercadona. It took around 2 weeks to work, but the ants never came back.
Yes, the Eco Gel in a syringe, it helped me with these ants, ideally applied at their entry point to the apartment.
Ant infestations can be a frustrating issue to deal with, but by implementing preventative measures and promptly addressing any issues, you can protect your Gran Canaria home from these persistent pests. Maintaining cleanliness, sealing entry points, and using baits or natural repellents can go a long way in keeping your living space ant-free. Embrace the beauty of Gran Canaria without ants marching into your home.
Are you a remote worker, local professional, immigrant, digital nomad or expat in Gran Canaria?
Or do you simply want to connect with an awesome international community? Join here! Besides a welcoming community, you’ll also get 10% discount on surf lessons, 10% discount on diving and access to more exclusive deals!
The Live it up, Las Palmas! community is using Slack as a communication tool. The Slack group is split up into different channels and is moderated actively, to keep communication simple and organized. It’s used to share events, find sports buddies, discover new restaurants, rent a car together, find exclusive community discounts and much more! Live it up, Las Palmas! is your starting point for an amazing time in Gran Canaria. See you there!