Among the many unique and tropical fruits available in this region, the carambola, commonly known as starfruit, takes center stage. This article serves as your guide to buying the freshest carambolas in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, ensuring you experience the island’s flavors at their finest.
Carambola, often referred to as starfruit due to its distinct shape when sliced, is a tropical fruit that is as visually captivating as it is delicious. With a sweet and tangy flavor, carambola is enjoyed both fresh and in various culinary creations. Rich in vitamins A and C, antioxidants, and dietary fiber, carambola is not only a treat for the palate but also a nourishing addition to your diet.
Where to Find Carambola in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
You can buy carambola at THE Fucha EKO SCP.
- Local Markets: Explore the bustling local markets of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, such as Mercado del Puerto and Mercado de Vegueta. Here, you can find an array of fresh fruits, including carambola, sourced directly from local farmers. Engage with the vendors to learn about the fruit’s origin and even get some tips on selecting the best carambolas.
- Fruit Stands: Throughout the city, you’ll come across charming fruit stands that showcase the region’s abundance of tropical fruits. These stands often have ripe and ready-to-eat carambolas available for purchase. Don’t hesitate to ask the sellers for their recommendations on the best ways to enjoy this unique fruit.
- Supermarkets and Grocery Stores: Larger supermarkets and grocery stores in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria usually have a dedicated section for fresh produce. Look for carambolas in the fruit aisles, where you can pick and choose your own based on your preferences. Remember to opt for fruits that are firm, vibrantly colored, and free from blemishes.
Selecting the Perfect Carambola
When buying carambola, keep these tips in mind to ensure you pick the best ones:
- Color: Look for carambolas that have a bright golden-yellow hue. A few light green areas are fine, but avoid those that are predominantly green as they might not be fully ripe.
- Firmness: Gently press the fruit – it should yield slightly without being too soft. Avoid carambolas that are overly hard or too mushy.
- Edges: Inspect the edges of the fruit. Ideally, they should be smooth and free from bruising or dark spots.
- Size: Carambolas come in various sizes, but those that are medium to large tend to offer the best balance of flavor and texture.
Once you’ve selected your ripe carambolas, the possibilities are endless:
- Sliced: Simply slice the carambola horizontally to reveal its star-shaped cross-section. The slices can be used as a striking garnish for both sweet and savory dishes.
- Juiced: Blend carambola slices with other tropical fruits to create a refreshing and nutritious juice.
- Salads: Add sliced carambola to your favorite salads for a unique burst of flavor and a touch of elegance.
- Desserts: Create visually appealing desserts by incorporating carambola slices into fruit salads, tarts, or even atop ice cream.
Follow @liveituplaspalmas on Instagram
Are You A Remote Worker, Local Professional, Immigrant, Digital Nomad Or Expat In Gran Canaria?
Or do you simply want to connect with an awesome international community? Join here! Besides a welcoming community, you’ll also get 10% discount on surf lessons, 10% discount on diving and access to more exclusive deals!
The Live it up, Las Palmas! community is using Slack as a communication tool. The Slack group is split up into different channels and is moderated actively, to keep communication simple and organized. It’s used to share events, find sports buddies, discover new restaurants, rent a car together, find exclusive community discounts and much more! Live it up, Las Palmas! is your starting point for an amazing time in Gran Canaria. See you there!