Gran Canaria, with its year-round mild climate and stunning landscapes, has become a haven for digital nomads seeking a balance between work and leisure. One of the perks of this island paradise is the opportunity to work outdoors in the glorious sunshine. However, like any choice, there are both pros and cons to consider when deciding whether to set up your laptop under the open sky. In this article, we explore the advantages and drawbacks of working outside in the sun for digital nomads in Gran Canaria.
Pros of Working Outside in the Sun
- Natural Inspiration: The breathtaking vistas of Gran Canaria can serve as a natural muse, sparking creativity and boosting your productivity. The vibrant colors, from the azure waters to the verdant landscapes, can invigorate your mind and enhance your focus on tasks.
- Vitamin D Boost: Sunlight is an excellent source of vitamin D, which plays a crucial role in maintaining a healthy immune system and overall well-being. Working outdoors in Gran Canaria allows you to soak up these essential rays while getting your work done.
- Enhanced Mood: Exposure to natural sunlight triggers the release of serotonin, often referred to as the “happy hormone.” This can elevate your mood, reduce stress, and enhance your overall sense of well-being, making your workdays more enjoyable and fulfilling.
- Networking Opportunities: Working at public digital nomad hotspots, make it easy to connect with fellow digital nomads and entrepreneurs. Engaging in conversations and sharing experiences can lead to valuable networking connections and potential collaborations.
- Physical Activity: Working outside encourages you to move around, stretch, and take short breaks. Whether you’re walking along the beach or practicing yoga in a scenic park, these activities can improve your physical health and prevent the negative effects of prolonged sitting.
Cons of Working Outside in the Sun
- Screen Glare: Direct sunlight can cause glare on your laptop or screen, making it difficult to read or see your work. Invest in anti-glare screen protectors or position yourself in a way that minimizes glare for a more comfortable working experience.
- Distractions: The allure of Gran Canaria’s natural beauty can sometimes lead to distractions. Especially working at the beachfront may compete for your attention and hinder your productivity.
- Limited Amenities: While outdoor spaces provide a refreshing change of scenery, they might lack some of the amenities you’re used to in traditional offices. Access to power outlets, stable internet connectivity, and comfortable seating can vary, potentially affecting your workflow.
- Health Considerations: Prolonged sun exposure without proper protection can lead to sunburn, skin damage, and an increased risk of skin cancer. It’s crucial to use sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and take regular breaks in shaded areas to safeguard your health.
Working outdoors in the sun in Gran Canaria offers a unique blend of benefits and challenges for digital nomads. The natural inspiration, mood enhancement, and networking opportunities can be invaluable for your work and personal growth. However, it’s essential to remain mindful of potential distractions, screen glare, and health concerns to ensure a productive and enjoyable remote working experience. By striking a balance and taking necessary precautions, you can harness the beauty and vitality of Gran Canaria’s sunshine while maximizing your digital nomad lifestyle.
Our top picks to work outside in the sun
Starbucks on Paseo de Las Canteras is quite popular for remote workers.
Avocadismo; I’ve studied there on my computer for hours. With Wi-Fi, definitely. They have umbrellas so it’s not always in the sun, but I’m sure one can pick a sunny spot.
You can work outside from The Couple at Paseo de Las Canteras.
Are you a remote worker, local professional, immigrant, digital nomad or expat in Gran Canaria?
Or do you simply want to connect with an awesome international community? Join here! Besides a welcoming community, you’ll also get 10% discount on surf lessons, 10% discount on diving and access to more exclusive deals!
The Live it up, Las Palmas! community is using Slack as a communication tool. The Slack group is split up into different channels and is moderated actively, to keep communication simple and organized. It’s used to share events, find sports buddies, discover new restaurants, rent a car together, find exclusive community discounts and much more! Live it up, Las Palmas! is your starting point for an amazing time in Gran Canaria. See you there!